|Nevada State AFL-CIO|
ARNOLD/JONES/EVANS 2013 SCHOLARSHIP FUND
2013 ESSAY QUESTION:
The National AFL-CIO and State Federations are strong supporters of common sense Immigration reform.
Why does immigration reform make sense for all working families? Why is a realistic roadmap to citizenship essential to our values and to real reform?
The purpose of this essay contest is to award three (3) $3,000.00 scholarships for attending an accredited public or private University, Community College, Vocational or Technical School anywhere in the United States.
Requirements and Eligibility Criteria:
1. There will be three (3) $3,000.00 scholarships awarded to three students.
2. Applicants must be a natural or legally adopted child of an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO.
3. Applicants must be graduating high school seniors when making application.
4. Applicants must currently have a 2.0 grade point average and have maintained such for their last full year of school prior to application.
5. Financial need is NOT a criteria for this scholarship.
6. Applications may be downloaded from the NV State AFL-CIO web site or picked up at any Nevada State AFL-CIO affiliated local union.
7. A copy of the grade transcript to support claim of 2.0 grade point average and a statement of career goals or intent must accompany the application.
8. All applications must be accompanied by a written essay, 1,000 words minimum, on the subject designated by the Nevada State AFL-CIO Executive Board.
9. Essays should be submitted on 8 ½" by 11" paper, on one side, preferably typed and double spaced, with applicants’ written signature, printed name and email address at the conclusion of the essay.
10. Applications must be mailed and postmarked by July 20, 2013 to:
Danny L. Thompson
11. The Scholarship Committee will review all applications to assure that all eligibility criteria and requirements have been followed and met.
12. Essays will be reviewed by a selected committee and scored by at least three readers.
13. Failure on the part of the applicant to meet the rules may subject the applicant to disqualification by the Committee. If disqualified, the decision of the Scholarship Committee will be final.
14. Scholarships will be awarded after acceptance to school of applicant’s choice.
15. An appropriate notification will be presented to the winners by an Officer of the Nevada State AFL-CIO prior to August 05, 2013.
16. The Scholarship will be awarded at the Nevada State AFL-CIO Annual Convention, August, 20, 2013, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
If you have any questions, please contact Gail Tuzzolo, NV State AFL-CIO at 702-459-1414. Click HERE to download scholarship application.
© AFL-CIO. All rights reserved.
Photographs and illustrations, as well as text, cannot be used without permission from the AFL-CIO.